1. You have just received the name and address of a new pen pal, Juliette, who lives in
Dakar. This is your first letter to her. Describe yourself, giving the following information:
- your name
- your nationality
- your age
- what you look like:
are you blond or dark-haired?
are you tall or short?
- two personality traits
Sign your letter
2. Describe the people below by completing the following sentences. Use your imagination and choose a different adjective for each one.
- Mon copain _______________________________________.
- Ma copine _______________________________________.
- Les voisins _______________________________________.
- Le professeur d'anglais _______________________________________.
- Les élèves de la classe _______________________________________.
3. Your friend Henri is very interested in cars. Write him a note describing your family car
(or a car of your choice). Answer the questions using complete sentences.
- What color is it?
- Is it big or small?
- Is it an American car?
If not, what is it?
- Is it a good car?
- Does it run well?
4. You have been corresponding with a French friend, Alice, and want to know more about her family. Write her a note asking the following questions:
- Do you have a sister?
- What's her name?
- How old is she?
- Is she cute?
- Is she a good student?
Your aunt Elisabeth, who lives in
Paris, has invited you to her house for the month of July. Write a postcard to your friend Jean-Claude to tell him the good news. (20 points)
5. In your card, say that . . .
- you are going to go on a trip in July
- you are going to visit
- you are going to stay at your aunt's house
Ask him . . .
- what he is going to do in July
- if he is going to travel too
Sign your card.
Ahmadou, your friend from
Senegal, is going to visit you this summer. Write him a short letter describing your home. Answer the questions below. (22 points)
6. - Where do you live - in a house or in an apartment?
- How many bedrooms are there?
- How many bathrooms?
- Where is your bedroom - upstairs or downstairs?
- How is your room? big? small? comfortable?
- In which room do you watch TV?
- In which room do you have dinner?
- Is the kitchen modern?
- Is there a garden?
Sign your letter.
For your birthday, your uncle in
Montreal gave you money to buy clothes. Write him a short letter thanking him and telling him how you will use the money. (20 points)
7. Thank him for the money.
Tell him . . .
- what clothes you need
- to what type of store you are going to go
- what you are going to buy
- how much money you are going to spend.
Sign your letter.
Compare yourself to other people, using the elements below. Use complete sentences. (20 points)
8. Je / sportif / mes copains
Je / bon en maths / ma copine
Je / intelligent / le prof
Answer the following questions in French, using complete sentences. (20 points)
Express your personal ideas, using only vocabulary and expressions that you know in French. Write five or six sentences. (20 points)
10. Un bal masqué (Costume ball)
You are going to a Mardi Gras party where everyone is in costume. Describe what you and your friend (of the opposite sex) are going to wear. For example, you can indicate the articles of clothing, their color, size, and style. Use your imagination in describing your outfits.
11. Job d'été
You have a summer job in a clothing store. Describe your job. You may mention, for instance:
- what type of store you are going to work in
- what type of clothes you are going to wear for this job
- what clothes or accessories you are going to sell
- how much you are going to earn
- what you are going to do with your money